Saturday, December 3, 2011

Do cats love us and do they know that we love them?

Some people will say that cats do not have emotions like humans. I say they do, maybe not as advanced or as sophisticated as human emotions, but I think they do.


But love? 

Love means having the ability to make sacrifices for the loved one. Do cats do this? If cats do love us, it would mean they are self-aware. Animals act on instinct, especially when it comes to self preservation, and they would have to rise above that instinct to really love as we understand the term. I know that dogs have done this. But cats? Maybe.


I do think cats love us in the sense that they can be loyal, affectionate, jealous, and sometimes even protective. I know of cats attacking burglars, waking their owners in the middle of the night when the house was on fire, moving their kittens out of harm’s way, etc. But I think this is the exception rather than the rule. 


Would my wonderful fur-babies rescue me? I don't know. They gently pat and touch my face in the early morning hours to wake me for their breakfast. Would they do that if the house was on fire? I'd like to think so. 


Cats do love us in their own limited way, I think they love their owners inasmuch as they are capable. I do believe that they know we love them. I'm pretty sure of that--to the extent that they understand it; i.e., trust, security, affection, food, warmth, and so on.


Still, the animal kingdom continually amazes me: The bird flying to his mate's side after being hit by a car, dogs and cats nursing fur-babies of another species, elephants recognizing each other after 20 years absence, Koko's devotion to her kitten, and the sadness and grief she exhibited after the kitten was tragically hit by a car. And how about whales and dolphins saving drowning victims? It makes one ponder what it means to love. 

So do our pets love us? Yes, I think they do--in their own way. Do they know we love them? Of course.

Of this I am certain: They know us better than we know ourselves. I know my Nellie, Littlebit, Tigger, Tootsie, and Lucy all love me. I know my wonderful mare, Beauty, loves me. I know because I love them and I would never, ever hurt them. They know that. They trust me. They come when I call them. I feed and provide a home for them. They seek me out for affection. 

Here's another thing I know for sure: If you want an animal to fear you, abuse it. If you want an animal to trust you, take care of it, love it and keep it safe. There is no greater satisfaction than loving an animal that loves you back

No comments:

Post a Comment